Monday, April 27, 2009

Memories of OK

I know I just wrote a book on the last post, but it got me thinking about Oklahoma. More specific, I had brought up the scars on my toes and now I am thinking aobut all those scars and how I got most of them.
I kinda liked growing up out in Yukon. I remember most of all, I loved rainy days in Yukon. Very rarely was there lightning with our rain (something we see on a regular basis in CO. We even have thunder snow). I remember, my neighbor and friend, Michelle and I would wear our Underoos (sp?) out in the street, and when her brother would bug us about being outside in our undewear, we'd swear it was our swimsuits. Who were we fooling? I loved my Wonder Woman Underoos. Anyway, we'd sit right next to the curb where the water would rise. I remember it being warm rain too. Then we would race each other up and down the street and kick at the deep water by the curb to make it splash. Can you see how I'd end up with cut toes? Sometimes I'd drag my feet while running which would scrape a toe. Even so, most of those cuts came from playing in the rain.
I even remember the few times my feet were affected from things other than the rain. Our housing area was brand spanken new when we moved in. Other than the show homes, we got one of the first houses built in that subdivision (we even have polaroids of the entire building process) Too bad it now looks very run down. The house right across the street from ours was still being built when we (myself, my sister, and our 2 neighbors) decided to climb the mountain of sawdust left on the front lawn. Well, along with the sawdust were boards and NAILS!!! Yikes! I remember my bare feet feeling so good in the saw dust. I also remember taking a step right on top of a nail, then while trying to back of the mound, I stepped on another nail with the other foot. The neghbors' mom was "watching" us that day and I remember her having some ointment that stung like crazy. I was dreading having that put on the bottom of both feet. Maybe I passed out or something because I don't remember the pain after that. I don't know if I hobbled around for awhile, or if I picked up and ran off down the street ready for my next injury. I just don't know.
I do know that I wear my toe scars with pride. I think it needs to warm up here so I can wear sandles more often so I can look at my scars and smile!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home