Friday, June 16, 2006

Out of Nowhere!

Ever had one of those days where everything is going okay, and out of nowhere the world turns upside down? Today was one of those days. I went to work and was having my usual fun day. I was enjoying the customers and all was going smoothly. I went to lunch and mailed a package during my one hour break and even had time to spare once I got back to the salon. Then "IT" happened. I went back to work after lunch and had a walk-in client. ( How else he would have come in, I don't know) Anyway, back to the seriousness. I called his name, "Jackson." He was so excited to be getting his hair cut and he knew exactly which car he wanted to sit on. For those of you who don't get that, my salon has little battery operated cars for the kids to sit in instead of your basic stylist chair. Now, Jackson is a new 3-year-old and it seems that his 3-year-old body wants to move faster than his feet. They must still be in the 2-year-old phase. Jackson rounded the corner going straight for the 4-wheeler. Aagh to feel like a big boy on that big piece of machinery. He had so much speed going and about 3 feet in front of the 4-wheeler, his feet didn't know what to do. He tripped and went head first into the pedal of the 4-wheeler and after a huge thub of his head hitting he landed on his chest on the hydraulic pump. As soon as I saw him trip my body went into protection mode as I went sliding on my knees to get to him and I hit my head onthe exact same chair. I picked him up and had him in the arms of his mommy in seconds. She was walking right behind us pushing her baby's stroller. Jackson screamed so hard. I immediately saw the bumps on his head and mommy was looking him over. She asked if we had any ice and I ran over to the Panera Bread in our building and got him a bag of ice, which he did not want. He wanted nothing anywhere near his eye. By the time I got back, he was bleeding and one could plainly see he had split the corner of his eye on the outside. Everyone in the room obviously knew something had happened. The thud of his head hitting the car alone sent everyone into a bit of a shock, but no one saw it except me and his mom. Our receptionist asked what to do and I told her an incident form would be best. As I tried to tell her what happened I was a bit overcome with emotion and started to cry for the boy. I think the adrenaline wore off and gave me a little mood swing. Unfortunately for the boy, his sister had a dance recital this evening and the mom really wanted her hair fixed for it. So, she wasn't going to leave immediately to get his eye taken care of. I bribed him with a lollipop to help stop the tears and it worked. Mommy had brought Oreo's which made it even better. I had suggested she make sure he didn't need stitches or surgical super glue (which she hadn't heard of). While I sat there with jackson I asked him quesitns and at one point he looked like he was lost in thought, not really looking at anything. I went into nurse mode, making sure he wasn't having signs of a conucssion. I had to get right in front of him to get responses to my questions. I once again told the mom she should get him to the doctor and have him checked out and that along the way she needed to talk to him and get responses from him. She decided to call his dad and have daddy come get him. I know the recital was important, but come on. I convinced Jackson to lay his head over on the ice pack and he looked as if he could go to sleep at any minute. Finally, daddy got there and whisked him off to the doctor. Jackson's response to leaving, "Can I get my hair cut?" The parents called back and Jackson got stitches.
Amazing how everything can be just peachy and a split second later you're diving head first into a 4-wheeler. I got my heart beating back at a normal pace again. Tomorrow, Jackson will be coming back to me to get his hair cut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home