Monday, October 31, 2005

Understanding

Takyra and I finally had an understanding. I have gotten so tired of her mouthing off and thinking she is invincible. This happens most right after she's been around her friends outside of school. They get to having fun and acting however 7-almost 8-year-olds act. Next thing I know, she is getting a smart mouth.
She also has this little ADD thing going on. I will tell her to do something and she is easily sidetracked and totally forgets what she was supposed to do. I have to give her one thing to do at a time. I even sat there this morning watching her get dressed and once she got to the shoes, she was looking around her room and picking things up that had nothing to do with getting dressed. She still had the shoe in her hand. I had to tell her over and over to finish getting dressed.
So we have come to an agreement. She is going to try to listen to me more. We also have agreed to try to be better friends and stop talking mean to each other. It's gone well so far. we are changing our tone with each other and it seems to make the days start a little brighter.
Last night, Takyra came to me and said she needed my help. " Mom, can you teach me how to act more like a lady?" HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA! Oh did I say HA? I repeated the question to Mema and she agreed my daughter was asking the wrong person for that. So with the help of Mema we talked about the simple things of acting like a lady. First on the list, quit chasing boys!! Let them chase you! Wow, more advice that works for mommy too. She wasn't too thrilled about that one and she admitted she chases boys all the time. We gave her a few more pointers that I am sure she will forget by, well, now. Takyra does not want to be a Tomboy. I have assured her there is nothing wrong with being a Tomboy so long as you know when to act like a lady.
Yes, I still have my Phillips 66 gasoline truck. I wore Oklahoma Sooner shirts that were for boys. I even had the short haircut and was called a boy when I would go door to door to sell candy bars for school fundraisers. There's nothing wrong with having a little Tomboy in every girl. I can change my car's oil and filter. I can design and build things out of wood. I don't mind getting dirty. BUT, I also love to dress up once in awhile, just as I will in two weeks for "Phantom of the Opera." I like to sew, paint, and cook/bake. There is nothing wrong with a woman who can do all these things. Hopefully my daughter learns to embrace everything about herself.
So, we are going through the adjustments of treating others the way one wants to be treated, and learning how to act the way a girl should, but still maintaining the characteristics that will make her a strong independent woman....many years from now.
She's still my baby, going on 8!

1 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Tarisa said...

Yea! You figured out the links! I do realize this has nothing to do with the blog you just wrote. Oh well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home