Monday, December 12, 2005

The Best Birthday Party Ever

This past Saturday, Takyra had her 8th birthday party. She invited two friends and they went to my salon and got pampered, then we went to Red Robin to eat, then we got lost. Literally. We were supposed to go see a play in Castle Rock. Well, the play was not where the website said it would be. I called back to the house and mom said she saw that it is supposed to be at the Douglas county fairgrounds. I pulled in to the parking lot of the fairgrounds and there was a long line...of grown men. Somehow I didn't think this was the play. I asked the most descent looking man passing by what was going on. "Cage fighting!" Umm, not the best idea for an 8-yr-old's birthdya party. I was at wits end. I was ready to bawl. the only thing that kept the girls' sanity is the DVD player I was smart enough to bring to tie up their time in the car. After asking about 4 people where the play might be held, I decided to try the street I had been up about twenty times that night. I know 4th street in Castle Rock all too well. I finally confessed to the girls I was lost and that we may not make it to the play. Luckily we had over an hour start getting there. we used up most of the time trying to find it. The girls were good sports and realized I was frustrated. But I really wanted them to see this play. I went to the corner coffee shop on 4th street and asked the two customers and the two workers all at once if they knew of the play. One of the workers knew. Amen! Praise the Lord! there are good people around during the hectic holidays. I had been on the right street, it was just blocked by a big hill with a railroad track running right through. The roads were all being redone and it was crazy, yet simple if you knew the area. So we made it in time.
The play was perfect. We saw "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever." The girl who played Gladys Herdman was too cute and she was so serious about her part. The girl had to be no older than 6 and she kept the meanest look on her face. She was the angle of the Lord in the pageant and gladys believed the angel of the Lord must have had super powers, so she said "SHAZAM, I bring you good tidings of great joy!!!" Then it got to the part where Imogene Herdman finally realized how precious that baby, born so many years ago, was. I got chills up and down my spine. I cried. It was beautiful. Silly in all the right spots and then the true meaning of Christmas touches you so deeply. It is a children's book, but I recommend any adult read it. The girls loved the play. Their favorites and mine were Imogene and Gladys. Takyra loved her party and I would gladly do it again in a heartbeat.

1 Comments:

At 7:55 AM, Blogger Tarisa said...

Yo! We need a new blog! Now! Noooooooooooowwwwwwwwww!!!!!! Okay? :-P

Oh...and ibigln. Whatever that means.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home